Every time I use this homemade ranch seasoning, whether it’s to make ranch dressing or my Spicy Ranch Pretzels, people ask me for the recipe. And I don’t blame them…it’s that good!
I first came across the idea of making my own homemade ranch seasoning for dressing a few years ago when I was doing a Whole 30 diet with my husband. (And let me tell you, sauces, seasonings, and condiments are the key to winning with Whole 30!) I scoured all the Pinterest boards and truth be told I didn’t love any of the recipes I came across. A couple were ok, but when I started playing around with my own recipe, that’s when I knew I had a winner.
Ever since that hungry day long ago, I’ve kept a jar on hand. It’s obviously great to make homemade ranch dressing, but I’ve since found so many other ways to use this seasoning that I can’t wait to get all the recipes written up to share with you!
How to use this seasoning:
Of course you can use the seasoning mix to make your own homemade ranch dressing, but beyond that, the possibilities are endless when it comes to using this flavor bomb.
- Mix it in with ground beef when making burgers.
- Add it to tuna salad for a fresh new spin.
- Make a fresh batch of Spicy Ranch Pretzels.
- Sprinkle over popcorn.
You name it, I bet it will be delicious. Let me know in the comments what fancy way you’ve found to use it.
Why I love making my own homemade ranch dressing
The short answer is I’m a control freak. Jk, kind of. But really, aren’t we all trying to make healthier choices for ourselves and our families when it comes to food? This is just one small way that I can know the ingredient quality and opt out of any nasty fillers and additives.
Plus, it just tastes so much more fresh and vibrant. After eating this homemade ranch, whenever I have the stuff from the valley, I can’t believe how thick and dull it tastes. Maybe just my opinion, but maybe not.
Tips for making homemade ranch seasoning:
- I created this recipe as a compilation to many other recipes that just weren’t quite right for my taste. In that same vain, feel free to play around with the quantities for each ingredient. Not a super fan of chives, no problem, reduce that amount down and beef up the dill. Part of cooking is learning your own taste preferences and this is the same.
- As always, I’ve got to mention something about ingredient quality. As most of the ingredients for the ranch seasoning are dried herbs and spices, buying fresh is going to make a difference in the taste. If you’ve had your spices for over 6 months, chances are, they’ve already lost much of their flavor. For this reason, I try not to keep a ton of different dried herbs and spices on hand, and buy fresh if I’m going to use something I don’t use often.
To see how quickly this recipe comes together, click the video below:
Literally a couple measuring spoons and a jar with a tight fitting lid. That’s it!
When making this into homemade ranch dressing, you’ll only need one more jar with lid and a spoon to mix everything up.
Ingredients in homemade ranch seasoning
- Dried parsley
- Dried dill weed
- Onion powder
- Dried onion flakes
- Garlic powder
- Dried chives
- Sea salt
- Cracked black pepper – I typically buy peppercorns and crack my own for regular day-to-day cooking, but when using a large amount like this, I’ll opt for the stuff in the jar.
Ingredients in homemade ranch dressing
- Mayo – Feel free to use the may of your choice. I like to use Sir Kensington’s as they’re one of the few that don’t use canola oil. I also love to make my own! I use avocado oil and a fresh pasteurized egg and it comes together super quick with the help of my immersion blender. Check out my recipe for 10 Second Chipotle Mayo and just leave out the spices and bam, homemade mayo!
- Unsweetened milk of choice – This is really just to this out the mayo into dressing consistency, so I like to use a mild flavor like coconut milk which is still super creamy. You could also substitute water.
- Apple cider vinegar (or lemon juice)
- Ranch seasoning
If you make this recipe and love it, I would love if you gave it 5 stars! Tag me on Instagram
@leedsstreetcollective with your delicious creation.
Thanks so much for checking out the Collective!
- 1/4 cup dried parsley
- 1 tablespoon dried dill weed
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon dried onion flakes
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 3 teaspoons dried chives
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 2 teaspoons cracked black pepper
- 1 cup mayo
- 1/4 cup unsweetened milk of choice (I like coconut milk)
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar (or lemon juice)
To make homemade ranch seasoning mix:
- Mix all ingredients together and store in a Ball or Mason jar.
To make homemade ranch dressing:
- Add 1 cup mayo, 1/4 cup of unsweetened milk of choice, 2 teaspoons of apple cider vinegar or lemon juice with 1 1/2 tablespoons of ranch seasoning mix.
- Mix well and store in a Ball or Mason jar in the fridge.